Day 6 - Grossenhain (Ger) to Eisenhuettenstadt

Day 6 - Grossenhain (Ger) to Eisenhuettenstadt

... woke up due to the rain... Thought that it might have been a mistake to fly 100km more west than planed yesterday. Anyway, Jan picked me up in Dresden and we drove to Grossenhain. The rain stopped and I got the chance to fly wirh the VL3 evolution UL :-) Martin took me for a trip arround the airport so we could check out the weather.

...retractable gear, easy to use and efficient prop system, high speed due to aerodynamic efficiency and low noise... Its worth testing it ;-)  ... Anyone who is intrested can ask Jan for a demonstration flight, a rating or a sales offer, here is the contact to born-2-fly  Drying cloths. Looking for an airport with a hangar space Eisenhuettenstadt seemed to be a good choice. They have a flying camp, good waether, towing and hangar space available.

Weak conditions in the beginning, good at the end...

Reaching Eisenhuettenstadt was no problem

Landed too early, because I did not want to repeat yesterdays mistake of flying too far away after reaching the destination. Clever pneumatic glider lifting device JS1 engine... from MD

The evening ended at a camp fire after having dinner at a greek restaurant together with the very friendly Eisenhuettenstadt gliding club pilots.

Eschwege/Stauffenbühl nach Hause

Eschwege/Stauffenbühl nach Hause

Der letzte Tag ist gekommen! Heute heißt es leider wieder abrüsten und den letzten Weg bis nach Hause mit dem Auto zurücklegen. 

Nachdem wir zusammen gefrühstückt haben machten wir uns ans abrüsten aller Flugezeuge, da diese ja noch alle aufgerüstet in bzw. vor der Halle standen. Zum Glück sind wir darin ja mittlerweile geübt, sodass das wir das kurz und schmerzlos über die Bühne bringen konnten.

Nachdem dann auch die letzten Utensilien gepackt waren konnten wir uns von den extra angereisten Mitgliedern verabschieden.

Zum Glück war die Autoreise dann auch irgendwann wieder vorbei und uns blieb noch Zeit den Urlaub mit einem gemeinsamen Abendessen ausklingen zu lassen.

Dabei habe wir alle zusammen festgestellt, dass wir uns alle schon auf das nächste Jahr freuen. Denn auch trotz durchwachsenem Wetter hatten wir alle großen Spaß! Und wir freuen uns schon darauf nächstes Jahr wieder tolle Flugplätze mit tollen Leuten kenne zu lernen.


Lacuha nach Eschwege/ Stauffenbühl

Lacuha nach Eschwege/ Stauffenbühl

Der Blick, heute morgen beim aufrüsten, war im Vergleich zur Wasserkuppe traumhaft!

Deshalb haben wir beschlossen zu fliegen! Nach dem alle aufgerüstet hatten kam unserer starken Motivation die Mittagsüause in die quere... Aber auch die Pause hatte eine Ende und dann waren wir alle Startbereit an der Winde. Nach dem wir uns alle gesammelt hatten ging es dann grob in Richtung Heimat, nach Westen.

Zwischendurch bekamen wir dann noch Besuch von zwei Wettbewerbsklassen, die uns alle auf die Probe stellten. Unbeirrt flogen wir dann weiter in Richtung der Kasselerberge.

Auf dem Weg dahin wurden die Gleitstrecken immer länger. Was letztendlich dazu führte das wir nicht mehr genug Höhe hatten um über den Meißner zu gleiten, zum Glück kann man sagen. Denn dadurch verschlug es uns auf den Flugplatz Stauffenbühl/ Eschwege. Dort wurden wir herzlichst aufgenommen und wir konnten viele nette und interessante Menschen kennenlernen. Außerdem durften wir die geilste Grillhütte benutzen die wir jemals gesehen haben!

Jedoch haben wir die Hütte nicht zum Grillen benutzt, sondern bei uns gab es Paella zubereitet von den Küchenchefs Waldtraud und Johannes. Trotzdem haben wir den Tag, am Feuer in der Hütte mit Mitgliesern des Veriens, ausklingen lassen.


Abschließend lässt sich über diesen Flugplatz sagen, dass er mit solch Gastfreundlichen Mitgleidern stets eine Reise Wert ist und sei es nur für eine Nacht bei einem Wandersegeflug!



Day 5 - Oplole (Pl) to Grossenhain (Ger)

Day 5 - Oplole (Pl) to Grossenhain (Ger)

Very intresting day, started calm and easy and ended in an escspe flight from the thunderstorms. OLC-Flight-Link

Ready for a nice day

1-1.5m/s climbs in the beginning, overdevelopments over the hills like yesterday, 10km/h tailwind came in handy

towards the west cloud base dropped to 700m... Was grateful for the high gliding ratio of the DG808 (50)

The intitail plan was to go to Rothenburg, because they offer a place in the hangar, which is esential for the current weather conditions. I arrived early and decided to fly further west and come back to Rothenburg later. 30km behind Rothenburg it started to rain over me and to my right. So I decided to turn arround and fly to Rothenburg. Supprisingly the large dark clouds nearly reached Rothenburg. After one minute I saw a lighning. I was not sure if I could reach the airport before the thunderstorm, so I turned arround looking for an alternative. After calling Klix, where nobody answered I decided to approach Grossenhain, which was still 80km away. Here Martin and Jan opperate the born-to-fly flight school. Over the radio I asked for a for a place in the hangar, the answer was "no problem"... but I should hurry, because the weather would hold only half an hour.

Cloud bases were dropping further. I decided to not waist time searching for thermals and started the engine for the last 25km, had to find my way around the clouds, because cloud base was realy low. Very quickly we put the DG into a schelter... schelter in the storm :-), In these shelter there were Russian fighters stationed during the cold war. Here a picture of Jan, Martin an me. We know each other for ten years now, went wave flying together and flew competition in Slowakia....

Here a picture of the lighnings, the finger is roughly showing the position of Grossenhain

In the evening I used the opportunity to join Jan going to Dresden to see my brother, his wife and my nephew... also I could wash clothes.

Day 4 - Jelenia Gora (Pl) to Opole (Pl)

Day 4 - Jelenia Gora (Pl) to Opole (Pl)

In the moring I checked the weather, discussed the situation with Blondi on the phone and decided to approach Opole, which is registered on travelbyglider. I called them and they confirmed that a place in the hangar would be available. Picture with Anja and Wojcech before departure. Anja told me about the bad weather forecast with hail and lightning and that I can still land again in Jelenia Gora today. The day started with 700m cloud base (agl), had to use the engine in the beginning. Later huge clouds over the mountains to my right and also to the left let me think about going back and staying another day. Between the Wrozlaw airspace and the rain there was a gap for me ;-) I followed the dark clouds to the south, but at some point I had to fly north... But only dead air with no clounds... Got 20km before Opole, the rest was sponsored by two stroke engine. Landing next to fire fighter planes. These beauties can cary 2400l water, they have the same engine as An2 with 1000horse power. Opole offers lots of hangar space. When they have 30 gliders as guests in July they all fit in here! My place for tonight: Conrad and Pawel invited me for dinner and showed me the city, beautiful. Here the Venedig part of town with the Odra in the background

Day 3 - Kamenz (Ger) to Jelenia Gora ( Pl)

Day 3 - Kamenz (Ger) to Jelenia Gora ( Pl)

... the original plan was flying north, maybe to Magdeburg... but towards the north it looked like this... the predicted weather window moved by 200km!!! As yesterday I just decided to fly to the opposite direction... the forecast shows a possibility to fly tomorrow from Jelenia Gora...  after breakfast with Blondi we went to the hardware store for shoping, refilled fuel at got ready for take off at 2pm.

This cloud street was tempting...

Behind this cloud street there was nothing... except of rain on the left and right... time for testing the engine the first time in the field... works great...

here is the view towards Giant Mountains (Riesengebirge)

Approaching Jelenia Gora... in the north east of the city there is Jezow airport where they do gravity starts...

Dry place in the hangar for tonight... I got a room in the club house, was brought to the grocery shop by the director, spend the afternoon on the terrace and the evening with Anja, Wojchec and Robert.

The downside is that my laptop does not work any more... luckily the airport offers a PC, which makes writing blog easer...

Day 2 - Leszno to Kamenz

Day 2 - Leszno to Kamenz

first view out of the tent... weather looks not too promising...

briefing of competition... due to the dog show at this weekend the briefing was moved to a smaller room...

Dogshow... dogs everwhere... I also saw a dog which has probably the same weight as its owner... these ones were smaller

Half an hour before the start I am still hoping for clearing up in the east, but it looks like this with 25km/h headwind

towards the west it looks much better...

...furthermore the weather should be flyable in Germany for the next two days... so I decided to take off towards Germany... hopefully coming back to Poland later this or next week... here is the grid waiting for the cumulus clouds reaching the traffic pattern... in the evening I saw that they had to cancel the day...

easy flying, but sometimes week thermals... 

Nice conditions in Germany

Initially I was thinking about landing in Rotenburg or Reinsdorf. After hearing Blondi on the Kamenz frequency I decided to go to Kamenz and spend the evening with Blondi *which is a guy... for all who dont know him :-)... 

Blondi knows what travelers need: ice cold radler bear handed into the cockpit...

the rain missed Kamenz... Link to flight

Day 1 - 2016 - Riesa to Leszno

Day 1 - 2016 - Riesa to Leszno

Today the first day of the 2016 journey started... I have the feeling that the weather will be more challenging than in the last two years . The plan was to go to Poland, heading for Ostrov or Leszno. Also this year there is a change, we switched from Jantar Turbo to DG808 self launching. Link to Flight

...clouds looked nice, but there was warm air, no good thermals... after 20 min thermaling I noticed that I forgot to switch the vario/sensor back to TE... I was hoping that his was the reason why I could not find good climbs... but it was not. Best climb at German polish boarder ... 3m/s... but I had to fly back to get it.... flying back was a good idea, because of the large forest... cloud base was rising from 1000msl to 1400msl

Approaching Lezno.... I always wanted to see this famous polish glinding center... the weekend was good for passing the militatry airspace which is usually free on weekends.

In Leszno there is a polish national championship ... 15m class... but there was no flying today, because of very late arriving weather. I thought that I would probably meet some pilots which I know from Slowakian competitions... Probably I could get a map for eastern Poland, which could not be delivered by two German online stores in time. .. and yes, a friendly pilot gave one to me for entire Poland.... problem solved.

Gliding hotel.... booked solid due to the competion and a dog show

So back to the roots... camping... I will probably sleep like a baby...


Der vierte Tag/ Kultur auf der Wasserkuppe

Der vierte Tag/ Kultur auf der Wasserkuppe

Wärend gestern noch Hoffnung bestand heute von der Wasserkuppe zu starten mussten wir dann jedoch feststellen, dass der Tag bei wechselndem Schneefall und Sonnenschein eine kulturelle Fortbildungsmöglichkeit bot. Nach dem Besuch des Fliegerdenkmals war ein Gang durchs Segelflugmuseum natürlich Pflichtprogramm. Gegen mittag konnten wir absehen, dass sich das Wetter nicht signifikant bessern würde und so beschlossen wir alles einzupacken und nach Laucha zu fahren.

Der dritte Tag/ Auf zur Wasserkuppe

Der dritte Tag/ Auf zur Wasserkuppe

Auch heute war es wieder so das der Wetterbericht komplett anders war als am vorabend. Den Vormittag nutze Holger um seine Windenberechtigung zu erhalten und der Rest rüstete ganz in Ruhe auf. Nachdem alle Flieger aufgerüstet waren startete die VO ( der Duo Discus T ) als erstes aus der Winde, nach einem kurzen Motortest hatten es Marcus und Frithjof auch direkt bis an die Basis geschafft. Dort warteten die beiden dann auf die DG1000 mit Tanja und Felix, die ebenfalls aus der Winde gestartet waren. Nun machten sich die beiden "schweren Karren" mit dem Wind auf in Richtung Wasserkuppe. 

Dananch war dann Max mit der LS4 dran, darauf folgte Johannes mit dem Jantar und last but not least Holger mit der Lak. Max hat es leider auch nach insgesamt 3 Versuchen nicht geschafft die zerissene Thermik zu nutzen. Also machten sich Holger und Johannes auch auf den Weg zur Wasserkuppe.

Die vier bahnten sich ihren Weg über Gießen und den Vogelsberg bis zur Wasserkuppe. Aus Rücksicht auf die Rückholer wurde der Plan nach Coburg zu fliegen wieder verworfen. Leider zu spät für die Doppelsitzer, die bereits ins Lee der Röhn geflogen waren und so Schwierigkeiten hatten zurück auf die Wasserkuppe zu kommen. Mit einer Route nach Norden konnte die Wasserkuppe dann doch noch mit ausreichender Sicherheitshöhe erreicht werden.

In der Nacht hatte die Wasserkuppe dann noch eine Überraaschung für uns parat. Erst fiel die temperatur unter den Gefrierpunkt und dann gab es zu allem Überfluss auch noch Schnee.